Well, our countdown has been about the same for a few weeks now. Every time I talk to Chad, the date has been pushed back a few days. Hopefully now the date won't change too much and we can get rid of these Hershey kisses for good!
If you've been through a deployment, you know what the title of this post means! There is something about soldiers coming home from war that brings on an incredible urge to clean, organize and to do listing like crazy. I can't really explain it. This is always comical to me because we all do it. I've never met one military wife who didn't care what the house looked like when her husband came home. I mean seriously...they've been living in plywood boxes and eating the same food for a year...I'm sure they could care less if there is dust on the bookshelf or if the recipe book is organized. I chalk it up to a couple things.
While I'm pretty diligent about keeping my house clean (most days), for the past year, I know that no one is going to see my house at the end of the day. If I leave the desk a mess...my kids don't really care. If we have peanut butter sandwiches or eggs and toast for dinner...again...my kids don't care! So the idea of another adult seeing the state of my house all the time, motivates me to get it all in order.
There is also this idea that the to do list needs to be clear when he gets home. He should be able to relax and I shouldn't have anything to do...except look at him! :) While this is true to some extent, I know Chad enjoys feeling needed around the house and likes projects to do.
I think the biggest influence is just wanting to honor our homecoming hero in anyway we can. A clean and organized house may not see like a fitting way to honor him, but I know in some small way it matters.
All of that to say, I have been on a reorganization kick. I finally broke down this week and bought a cubby/bookcase for the playroom. Like my kitchen table, I've been looking at bookcases for over a year. I am sick of Wal-mart/Target disposable furniture and yet I hated to spend a lot of money on something to store toys that would probably get banged up by my kiddos and by movers. Potterybarn had a rare sale on bookcases this week and I happen to be in Syracuse, so I caved. I have to make the hour and a half drive again to go pick it up, but once all the toys are off my playroom floor, I think it will be worth it.
Addison's school room forced me to organize an area of my house that I really never used. Unfortunately all that junk just got transfered to my other desk, but I hope to tackle that this week. Once I get that done, I think all I need to do is keep the house clean and picked up until Chad gets home!
In other news, Addison's first week of homeschooling is going well. My schedule and Mya's extreme interest are big obstacles I hope to manage better than I did this week. The curriculum that I'm using is definitely too young for Addison. I enjoy the organization and she enjoys the activities, but I hate to go to the trouble and her not learn anything. Plus I think at this pace she will get bored with it in the weeks to come. I may look into upgrading or just adding more of my own ideas in pretty soon.
If you've been through a deployment, you know what the title of this post means! There is something about soldiers coming home from war that brings on an incredible urge to clean, organize and to do listing like crazy. I can't really explain it. This is always comical to me because we all do it. I've never met one military wife who didn't care what the house looked like when her husband came home. I mean seriously...they've been living in plywood boxes and eating the same food for a year...I'm sure they could care less if there is dust on the bookshelf or if the recipe book is organized. I chalk it up to a couple things.
While I'm pretty diligent about keeping my house clean (most days), for the past year, I know that no one is going to see my house at the end of the day. If I leave the desk a mess...my kids don't really care. If we have peanut butter sandwiches or eggs and toast for dinner...again...my kids don't care! So the idea of another adult seeing the state of my house all the time, motivates me to get it all in order.
There is also this idea that the to do list needs to be clear when he gets home. He should be able to relax and I shouldn't have anything to do...except look at him! :) While this is true to some extent, I know Chad enjoys feeling needed around the house and likes projects to do.
I think the biggest influence is just wanting to honor our homecoming hero in anyway we can. A clean and organized house may not see like a fitting way to honor him, but I know in some small way it matters.
All of that to say, I have been on a reorganization kick. I finally broke down this week and bought a cubby/bookcase for the playroom. Like my kitchen table, I've been looking at bookcases for over a year. I am sick of Wal-mart/Target disposable furniture and yet I hated to spend a lot of money on something to store toys that would probably get banged up by my kiddos and by movers. Potterybarn had a rare sale on bookcases this week and I happen to be in Syracuse, so I caved. I have to make the hour and a half drive again to go pick it up, but once all the toys are off my playroom floor, I think it will be worth it.
Addison's school room forced me to organize an area of my house that I really never used. Unfortunately all that junk just got transfered to my other desk, but I hope to tackle that this week. Once I get that done, I think all I need to do is keep the house clean and picked up until Chad gets home!
In other news, Addison's first week of homeschooling is going well. My schedule and Mya's extreme interest are big obstacles I hope to manage better than I did this week. The curriculum that I'm using is definitely too young for Addison. I enjoy the organization and she enjoys the activities, but I hate to go to the trouble and her not learn anything. Plus I think at this pace she will get bored with it in the weeks to come. I may look into upgrading or just adding more of my own ideas in pretty soon.
I can totally relate! I'm hoping these last few weeks go quickly for all four of you!
ReplyDelete